It’s not a must to have a touch screen display just for anyone to install the Windows 8 Release Preview. But having a touch screen monitor will give you the full experience of the Windows 8’s touch interface. The Windows 8 shall be available to the public by end of this year. So, the Release Preview is a good thing for us to test run this latest OS from Microsoft.
However, not all computers are created equal for Windows 8. Here’s the steps to check your system compatibility with Windows 8.
- Go to Windows 8 download site. Read everything before you click the hot button.
- Click the “Download Windows 8 Release Preview“.
- The Windows 8 Release Preview Upgrade Assistant (5.1Mb file) shall be downloaded to your computer. Run the downloaded file.
- Once the Windows 8 Release Preview Upgrade Assistant run in your system, it will check if your machine meets the basic requirements like:
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
- Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
Your system may not be the same as mine. You may have an assessment like this after running the Upgrade Assistant. (Image: courtesy of Cnet.)
Click “View system requirements” to see the complete details of the technical requirements. To use the touch interface of the Windows 8, you need a monitor that supports multi-touch.