Sun Cellular’s Facebook Zero is no longer alone in offering free Facebook access. Its’ big brother–Smart Communications offers starting today unlimited and free Facebook access for all types of cell phones. Not only that. Unlike Sun’s Facebook Zero, Smart’s Unli-Facebook allows viewing of everything inside Facebook including photos.
In an announcement early this week, Smart said the over 27 million Filipinos in Facebook ” have another reason to love the massively popular social networking site“–it’s free! Starting today, Smart offered the free Facebook access to all of its more than 50 million subscribers.
Smart said the subscribers “can make quick checks on live news feeds, post comments, view profiles and photo albums, update their status, read and send private messages, and find friends, without having to find an Internet café.”
However, regular charges will apply when a user clicks on a link to browse photos, videos, news articles or any other content outside of Facebook. Hence, it is advisable to subscribe to affordable, catch-all data plans of Smart such as Always On 20, which provides 24 hours of data connection to cover the charges for all activities like push mail, auto updating of apps, among others outside of Facebook.
Affected by this free access are the various Facebook access for a fee by other networks like Globe Handyphone’s SUPERFB10 promo and also the Smart’s own FB offer which is still posted on its web site as of last night.
Smart said the free Facebook access can be used with virtually any kind of cellphone by following these steps:
TO GET STARTED:
- Maintain P1 balance to avail of the free unli-Facebook access.
- Set the Smart site m.smart.com.ph as the mobile browser’s home page to ensure that no charges will apply upon start of browsing. Go to your browser/internet setting and edit the “Homepage” url. The Smart home page looks like the image below on my|phone T23 Duo.
- For Java-enabled MMS-capable handsets, you can connect to Facebook right away or download the app to be sure the installed FBapp on your phone is the latest version.
- For Mid-range, Internet-enabled phones and smartphones, you can access m.facebook.com using the cellphone’s browser without downloading the app.
- Get the Facebook Mobile App by sending FB to 211.
- Download link will be sent via SMS for free. Follow the instructions after clicking the download link.
That’s it! After installing, log in to your Facebook account and you can see the difference between Smart unli-Facebook and Sun Cellular Facebook Zero. The former allows you to view pics on your profile, newsfeed, and photo album.
Again, clicking a link to another site outside Facebook will charge you for data connection. Loading images take a while due to the limitation of the GPRS technology that Smart is using for this free service.🙂